Thursday, October 06, 2005

On hiatus

Tolkeinian musings don't die, even in this month. I hope to milk barakah from it nonetheless, insha'Allah.

I'm in Gondor now. Crack open your maps of India, use a little imagination and some analysis of what Tolkein's descriptions of what Gondor was like, and you might just pinpoint my current 'residence.'

Why Gondor? 'Coz my mushrik relatives are there. We also know that maintaining ties with our relatives is a vital part of our deen. Even, and perhaps especially, when they are non-Muslim.

Yet I'm on Safr (long journey) now, which technically exempts me from fasting. While I am maintaining my fard and du'as thanks to His tawfiq, saum is a TRUE shield. One which I've forgotten how to wear. The psychological guilt of consuming food/drink while you know the ummah is on empty stomach can sometimes overwhelm.

But I know Allah is the Most Understanding, and the Truly Merciful.

My wise mentor, who some consider 'the beloved of the Beloved', said:

"I'm not fooled by spiritual speculations. Don't fret about a 'compromised' Ramadan, Allah will give you TEN Ramadans.'

When Neo (Keanu Reeves) met the oracle in 'The Matrix,' she knew the advices given would disconcert him. She said: 'Sorry kid - you've got the gift. But it looks like you're waiting for something'

As Neo left her abode, Morpheus smiled and said:

'What was said, was for you - and you, alone'

The sincere 'ulamah & shuyook (learned, God-fearing scholars) are our oracles. Pragmatic wise men also guide us, when He feels we need nuts & bolts advice. Even a drunk man, or a helpless newborn, can impart lessons to us our parents or other well-intentioned souls, cannot.

Ultimately, no one has a monopoly on 'Irshad, save Him. Towards Hikmah then. Towards Afiya, Sahl, Sabr & the firmest maqams of Iman.

Oh Allah, I can only TRY, to Run to You alone. Show me the meaning of Haste to your Pleasure...

2 comments:

  1. My wise mentor, who some consider 'the beloved of the Beloved', said:

    "I'm not fooled by spiritual speculations. Don't fret about a 'compromised' Ramadan, Allah will give you TEN Ramadans.'

    yeah keep this in ure mind and dont feel guilty :) may Allah make things easier for u.. aameen!
    pls keep me in ur duas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:35 AM

    Asalaam Alaikum Dear Brother,

    Now that I have internet I intend to follow your blog more closely...between editing the English website of an Ayatollah and Insha Allah catching you online once in a while...I will try to spend my time here and maybe even start my own blog...

    Not even sure I would have anything worth reading but I could give it a try...

    To me you are like an onion...and not just because your words bring tears to my eyes...but because everytime I get to understand one layer of your being, another one appears underneath...

    Here's to a complex, cerebral, insightful Brother...

    Fi Aman Allah,
    S

    ReplyDelete